[Loch-ruadh] St. Lupus

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Wed Jul 25 07:37:30 PDT 2001

I'm sorry, you should tell them they can no longer go on vacation at the
same time anymore. :)  Bad part is I have found a better site about him.
Which is quoted below.

Born at Toul, France, c. 383; died at Troyes, c. 478. The noble, eloquent,
and erudite Saint Lupus had all the qualities needed to succeed in his
chosen profession of law. He practiced for some time and earned a good
reputation as a barrister. Lupus married Pimeniola, a sister of Saint Hilary
of Arles. Six years later (426) husband and wife took a mutual vow of
perpetual continence and Lupus became a monk at Lérins with his wife's
blessing. He sold much of his estate and gave it to the poor. For about a
year he lived under obedience to Saint Honoratus until he was named bishop
of Troyes and Honoratus, bishop of Arles.
It is said that when Honoratus was named bishop, Lupus returned to Maçon in
Burgundy to dispose of an estate. En route back to Lérins, he was met by
deputies of the Church of Troyes, bringing news of the death of Saint Ursus
and his own selection to the see. In his humility, he initially refused but
finally compromised by receiving consecration at the hands of the prelates
of Sens and continuing the practices of a monk. Even as bishop he wore only
sackcloth and a single tunic, lay upon boards, prayed throughout every other
night, often fasted completely for three days and then ate only barley
bread.

Throughout his episcopate, he labored with apostolic zeal despite his
austerities. Lupus displayed such prudence and piety that Saint Sidonius
Apollinaris calls him, "The father of fathers and bishop of bishops, the
chief of the Gallican prelates, the rule of manners, the pillar of truth,
the friend of God, and the intercessor to him for men." He spared no pains
to save one lost sheep, and his work was often crowned with a success which
seemed miraculous. For example, when a man named Gallus forsook his wife and
withdrew to Clermont, Lupus wrote to him through Bishop Sidonius of
Clermont. After Gallus read the prudent letter that was tempered with
sweetness he immediately returned to his wife. Upon witnessing this,
Sidonius cried out, "What is more wonderful than a single reprimand, which
both affrights a sinner into compunction and makes him love his censor!"

This saint is commonly identified with the Lupus who accompanied Saint
Germanus of Auxerre on his first visit to Britain to rid the country of
Pelagianism. Near the end of the 4th century, the British monk Pelagius and
the Scottish Celestius introduced their heresy into Africa, Italy, and the
East. They denied the corruption of human nature by original sin, and the
necessity of Divine grace. The British prelates asked those of Gaul for
assistance in eradicating this evil, and, during the council of Arles in
429, Germanus and Lupus were deputed. They accepted the commission with zeal
and ended the heresy through their prayers, preaching, and miracles.

It was said that when Attila, calling himself 'the Scourge of God,' and his
Huns overran Rheims, Cambray, Besançon, Auxerre, and Langres in 451, and was
threatening Troyes, Lupus took a decisive part in saving his province from
the invaders, but the story is almost certainly a fiction. It says that
Lupus prostrated himself in prayer for many days, fasted, and wept that God
might spare his people. Then he dressed in the full episcopal regalia and
went to meet Attila. The story continues that Attila was moved by reverence
at the sight of the bishop at the head of a procession of his clergy. After
a conversation in which Lupus reminds Attila that he can do only what God
allows, Attila spared the city. It goes on to say that when Attila was
defeated by the Roman general Aetius at Chalons, Attila requested that Lupus
accompany him in retreat as far as the Rhein because he believed that the
presence of the prelate would protect him and his army. The Romans,
believing that Lupus was helping the Huns to escape, forced the bishop to
leave Troyes for two years during which time he lived as a hermit in the
mountains.

He died after having governed the see of Troyes for 52 years. At first he
was buried in the Augustinian church of Saint Martin in Areis, then out of
the walls of Troyes. The head of Saint Lupus is housed in one of the richest
shrines in France. It is in the form of a bishop made of silver and adorned
with jewels, including diamonds. The rest of his relics are in another
silver shrine in the Augustinian abbey church of Saint Lupus. Many churches
in England bear his name, as do the members of the family surnamed
'Sentlow,' which is derived from 'Saint Leu' (Attwater, Benedictines,
Encyclopedia, Farmer, Husenbeth).

In art, Saint Lupus is depicted with a diamond falling from heaven as he
celebrates Mass. He may be shown (1) holding a chalice with a diamond in it
or (2) at the altar, giving a diamond to a king (Roeder).