[Loch-ruadh] Today in history Oct 7

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Sun Oct 7 16:31:11 PDT 2001

929 Death of Charles III "the Simple" ( France).
1244 FORBIE (Baibars defeats Christians).
1290 William Fraser, Bishop of St. Andrews, suggests to Edward I (England)
that John Baliol be King of Scots, under Edward.
1346 David II, King of Scots made prisoner at Neville's Cross.
1425 Treaty of Saumur.
1492 A false cry of "land!" made Columbus change course and miss Florida.
1496 Death of Ferrante II, King of Aragon.
1513 LA MOTTA (Naples defeats Venice).
1542 Rodriguez Cabrillo discovers Catalina Island, off California.
1543 Birth of Hans Holbein. ( I believe this should have said death of)
http://www.televisual.it/uffizi/h_holbei.html
1571 LEPANTO (Turkish fleet defeated by Don Juan of Austria). Future
novelist Miguel de Cervantes is wounded 3 times.
1573 Birth of Archbishop William Laud.
1576 Birth of John Marston, English satirist, dramatist.