[Loch-ruadh] Today in history Oct 8

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Sun Oct 7 21:36:11 PDT 2001

451 4th Ecumenical Council opened (Council of Chalcedon).
622 Muhammad enters Medina.
705 Death of Caliph Abd al-Malik, in Damascus.
876 ANDERNACH (Charles II, "the Bald" ( France) defeated by the Germans).
1010 Giacobinid (Draconid) meteor shower, radiant in Draco.
1179 Death of Odo de Saint-Amand, 8th Master of the Templars.
1190 Richard I ( England) invites Phillip II ( France) to attend a council
of War concerning the 3rd Crusade, at Messina.
1191 Prince John Plantagenet picked to replace Longchamp as head of the
English government while King Richard I was in Palestine.
1361 A Trial by Combat between the Chevalier Macaire and a dog. Victory was
to the dog, who thus solved the murder of its master, M. Aubrey de
Montidier.
1530 Rome flooded.
1542 Rodriguez Cabrillo lands at Santa Monica, California
1568 John Hawkins forced to abandon 114 of his ship's company in Central
America.