[Loch-ruadh] Today in history Oct 9

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Mon Oct 8 22:59:55 PDT 2001

680 Husayn ibn 'Ali, Shi'i religious leader, enters martyrdom.
709 Death of Abd'ul Malik, Caliph.
1000 Lief Eriksson lands in North America.
1047 Death of Pope Clement II.
1148 Louis VII and Eleanor of France reach Tusculum on their return from
crusade.
1187 Saladin prays at the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem.
1192 Richard I (England) begins his return from the 3rd Crusade.
1290 Last of the 16,000 Jews expelled by King Edward I leave England.
1390 Death of John I ( Castile).
1446 Hangul alphabet made official writing system of Korea.
1469 Death of Fra Filippo Lippi.
http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/bio/l/lippi/filippo/biograph.html
1544 "Camisade of Boulogne".
1547 Birth of Miguel Cervantes.
1562 Death of Fallopius.
http://ebooks.whsmithonline.co.uk/htmldata/ency.asp?mainpage=HTTP://EBOOKS.W
HSMITHONLINE.CO.UK/ENCYCLOPEDIA/29/M0001229.HTM
1576 Frobisher, not finding the Northwest Passage, returns to London.
1581 Death of St. Louis Bertrand.
1586 Agatha Weiss, Anna Dormar, and Christina Mayer burned for witchcraft in
Waldsee, Germany.