[Loch-Ruadh] word of the day

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Thu Aug 1 14:56:50 PDT 2002

How many does this make now??  Yes, I'm cleaning out a bunch of old email
because something screwy happened on my computer.  --Madelina

Your daily vocabulary lesson:

bon vivant * \bahn-vee-VAHNT or bohn-vee-VAHN\ * (noun): a person having
cultivated, refined, and sociable tastes especially in respect to food and
drink

Example sentence:  Mr. Rosner is a congenial bon vivant who seems to relish
the fine art of conversation almost as much as he does the fine art of
French cooking.

Did you know?  Fans of fine French wine and cuisine won't be surprised to
hear that the French language gave us a number of words for those who enjoy
good living and good eating.  "Gourmet," "gourmand," and "gastronome" come
from French, as does "bon vivant."  In the late 17th century, English
speakers borrowed this French phrase, which literally means "good liver."
No, we don't mean "liver," as in that iron-rich food your mother made you
eat.  We mean "liver," as in "one who lives" - in this case, "one who lives
well."