[Loch-Ruadh] Final Call

HRAFNASDOT at aol.com HRAFNASDOT at aol.com
Thu Aug 29 21:14:37 PDT 2002

In a message dated Thu, 29 Aug 2002 3:45:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, rbnew5 at netscape.net writes:

> I, for one, am pretty much ignorant about this stuff
> and would love to read an article about it. There are
> others who desire to do Viking clothing, but they
> need a little advise on what type of fabric and trim
> NOT to invest in.
>
> Thanks!
> /EH

I'm working on it now - and yes, I can bring one of my big red notebooks on Norse garb.

As for material - Wool, silk, linen (cotton, trigger and some flannel in a pinch - but these are NOT period - just a compromise if price is a factor and you have to be VERY careful of weight and look, but it can be done).

Trim - contrasting cloth, embroidery, narrow bands of woven trim.  Metalic in small quantities only.

Colors: Blue, red, yellow - they loved color.  Avoid ALL pastels.  Also natural neutrals like brown, ecru, black.  No stark whites.

I'll write the article, but if you're looking now - I hope this helps.

Asa