Fw: [Loch-Ruadh] !!!Thank you

Donna Wallis mama_mac at airmail.net
Mon Dec 16 17:39:12 PST 2002

Greetings Madelina,

You wrote:

>So, was there a prize for winning?  Vivat, Loch Ruadh!

Yes, there was a prize, it was sent around BOTH tables for everyone to
see. You must have been away from the table at the time. I'm
sorry you missed it!!  The prize is a small wooden box with 2
candleholders, a piece of fabric, a small bone (I think) box with a
piece of candy in it and 3 fabric coasters. It was sitting on the table
next to Troll before feast.

>Yes, thanks to those who saved our chairs and put down placemats for
>our use.  I will launder them and bring them to bardic, if I feel up to
>attending.  (Gwenllian told me I looked flushed, and asked after my
>health at Yule Revel, so I'm still trying to take it easy.)

You are welcome, we tried very hard to get everyone seated. You can
bring the placemats to Bardic unwashed as I have a bunch of them to
launder and it will take me at least that long to get the wax off of
them :) . I sure hope you are well on the mend.

>I did note that House Mac was mentioned in regards to the table
>decorations... did they mention the Canton as well?  I don't want it to
>sound like sour grapes, but that's probably what it is, to be honest.
>I did hold up my plate, too, when the announcement was made, and felt
>a bit miffed when I didn't hear "and the rest of Loch Ruadh as well,"
>or some such I know I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, and often
>jump to conclusions. But perhaps I just missed it.  The hall was
>frequently loud due to all the socializing.

No, the Canton was not mentioned, for that I apologize. I was so taken
aback by the announcement that it went right over my head. My feeling
going into this Table Decorating Contest was that we didn't stand a
chance of winning......because we were leaving out the greenery and
centerpieces, that we had last year, to leave more room for good things
to eat. You see, my mind was on food and holiday goodies, for it's the
one time of year I can indulge and don't let myself feel guilty!!

>Along those lines, I wasn't aware Conor was having a Yule party.
>Perhaps it's a House Mac thing.  If so, I respectfully request people
>to not mention private parties and such on the Canton list.  I missed
>hearing about Tegward and Caitrin's party as well, and have to
>assume either my invitation was lost in the mail, I specifically wasn't
>invited, or it was a House Mac thing, which believe it or not, does
>leave out a few people in the Canton. I did feel miffed about that
>because I was bummed that Wandering Bardic was cancelled,
>and would have attended if I had been invited.  More sour grapes,
>I know.  I guess I've got enough to make some wine now....

Every once in while mundane things DO get posted to the list. The only
thing I can suggest is look at your newsletter, if it isn't on the
calendar and Padraig has not sent out an announcement it is not a Loch
Ruadh thing.

House Mac happenings are usually "Event" related and are talked about on
the House Mac an Ghabhann private list. Even "then" they are not
referred to nor are they posted to the Loch Ruadh list. This is how we
get everything organized for events we attend as a household. We are
just not organized enough to do things of this magnitude otherwise.

Though, people who are members of House Mac do have "private mundane
parties" that not everyone is invited to, including other members of
House Mac. In the future, if something IS referred to on the list to
which you were not invited, you will know it is private thing "not a
House Mac thing".

>Sorry this missive has taken this turn.  Please don't take it the wrong
>way. I love my Canton, and really wanted to belong to House Mac.

I guess I did take it the wrong way, sorry!! And, yes, I will be the
first to admit that, I am very sensitive when you imply that Loch Ruadh
and House Mac are one and the same. Loch Ruadh is very proud to claim
Clan MacFergus, House Brokenaxe and Falconrose as well as a number of
people who have no household affiliations as members of this group.

It really hurts my feelings that you "always" point out House Mac as
being the bad guy. We are proud to be a household and are not
apologizing for acting like one. We strive to make the Canton "House
Mac calls home" the best in the Kingdom, by holding offices,
autocratting, running to buy tables, storage bins and pavilions and
providing the workforce that puts up the pavilion. We also encourage our
members to travel and compete in competitions as Loch Ruadh (not House
Mac) to show the Kingdom what "Loch Ruadh" people can do.

>Seeing how wonderfully you all got along and being on the outside, and
>not sitting with any of you really put a damper on my spirits.  It was
>only the fact that Falconrose, some Tor folk, and especially Lady Innes
>made me, my kids, AND Logan feel welcome that really made
>Yule Revel special

Yes, House Mac members do get along well together, thank you for
noticing. Most Households sit together at indoor events just like they
camp together at outdoor sites. I'm really sorry this offends you, but
this is what households do.

We share the duties and combine our efforts, that way we avoid
duplicating things that need to be brought to events. So, all of House
Mac members shared in providing for the WHOLE length of the tables at
which we were seated. We each brought something for the entire table.

Since I had to be onsite early to deliver the tables Loch Ruadh was
loaning to Dragonsfire Tor, I thought the least I could do for the
Canton would be to save everyone from Loch Ruadh seating space. Just
getting that much seating space together is not an easy task. We tried
very hard to keep families and friends together in case they were
sharing food, drink or table decorations. I'm sorry you felt left out
and I and did not intentionally try to put a damper on your spirits or
make your Yule Revel less special. I hope your children sitting at the
children's table didn't upset you to much.

I spent very little time in my seat, so I guess where I sat was not as
important to me as it was to you. I spent the day socializing with
friends I don't get to see as often. In fact I spent very little time
with House Mac or Loch Ruadh people. So, if I slighted you or your
family in any way I'm sorry it appeared that way. I did not realize I
made you feel unwelcome.

 >Okay, I got that off my chest.  I hope I didn't offend anyone.
>
>Madelina
>off to clean out the carboy (buoy?) to make that wine I mentioned....

You did, but I'll get over it. Life's to short to dwell on
misunderstandings.  Hope to see you at Bardic Wednesday night.

I apologize for the length of this post. I usually do not ramble on so.

Dana
Loch Ruadh REALLY  ROCKS!!!