[Loch-ruadh] Today in History Jan 21

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Sun Jan 20 23:04:50 PST 2002

Births

1338 Charles V (the Wise) king of France (1364-80)
1571 John I Pontanus physicist/historian (Amsterdam)

Deaths

0879 Boudouin with the Iron Arm Earl of Flanders, dies
1118 Paschalis II [Raniero], pope (1099-1118), dies
1596 John Ligarius German theologist/prime minister, dies at 66
1609 Joseph Justus Scaliger French inventor of "Julian Period", dies at 68
1626 John Dowland English musician/lyric poet (In Darkness We Dwell), dies
at about 63

Other Events

1077 German King Heinrich IV petitions Pope Gregory VII for forgiveness
1189 Philip II, Henry II & Richard Lion-Hearted initiate 3rd Crusade
1276 Pierre de Tarantaise elected Pope Innocent V
1324 Zen Buddhist religious debate between Tendai & Shingon
1522 Head inquisitor Adrian Florisz Boeyens elected pope
1525 History's first Anabaptist baptismal service took place in Zurich,
Switzerland, when Conrad Grebel (re-)baptized George Blaurock
1542 Parliament passes bill of attainder against Queen Katherine Howard
1549 Parliament passed the first of four British Acts of Uniformity, this
first requiring the exclusive use of the Book of Common Prayer (later called
the First Prayer Book of Edward VI) in all public services of the Anglican
Church.