[Loch-ruadh] Fw: [Elfsea] Question for the Baronial Applicants (Caelin & Pyro)

Donna Wallis mama_mac at airmail.net
Thu Jan 31 07:02:56 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Threlkeld <rjt at softwareinnovation.com>
To: Elfsea <elfsea at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 10:51 PM
Subject: RE: [Elfsea] Question for the Baronial Applicants

Pyro and I have thought quite a bit about our reasons
for wanting to become the next Baron and Baroness of
Elfsea.

We have some goals for the Barony, but we could and
would pursue those with or without becoming the B&B.
We would like to do whatever we can to promote the dreams
of those who live and play in Elfsea. We would like to
reward those who provide service to their Canton/College,
Barony, or Kingdom, those who develop new or improved
skills in the Arts, those who have learned new Bardcraft,
those who have perfected new fighting skills. Again, we
can and will do that without becoming the B&B.

We would like to help knit the Elfsea community into a
group that acts together and for each other. And that,
too, would be our drive anyway.

But the influence of the Baron and Baroness acts as a huge
lever that multiplies the effect of these acts. Kind words
from the Baron to a new struggling fighter can fill him/her
with resolve and pride. A nudge into a new area from the
Baroness can start a life long love of a craft. Intervention
from the B&B in a minor squabble can quash it before feelings
are seriously hurt. Giving attention to a guild can ensure its
survival.

We would listen to Elfsea and its individuals to understand
what you want and need. We would use the leverage of the
B&B to help you make what you want and need happen. Our reward
is seeing each of you (and both of us) grow and seeing
Elfsea become what we all want.

A bit philosophical, but it is our thoughts. As to specific
goals we believe we hear from you...

An active program to increase membership by targeting demos,
fliers, and other marketing to groups that are likely
to join us. We should also examine member retention.
Like any other group, keeping trained and talented
members is even better than getting new ones.
Looking at revitalizing the fighting companies in the Barony.
We need to find the key to attracting experienced fighters
into our fighting companies and getting them to practice
regularly so we can be an effective force.
Making more of our practices, guilds, and other meetings
available to all the parts of Elfsea including the Cantons
and the College. Perhaps having some of the meetings/practices
at different sites during the year.
Helping Elfsea and its Cantons/College grow together and not apart.
The B&B and other members of each group should attend
each other's meetings as often as is practical. Our
officers should communicate and share information and
ideas. But each has its own culture and that should be
preserved.
Keeping Elfsea financially secure, but making fun and not money the
highest goal for our events.
Using and building the skills of the people in Elfsea as broadly as
possible. Strongly supporting the A&S instruction nights by
participating and promoting.

If you have ideas on these or on other areas that would enhance Elfsea,
please contact Pyro and Caelin and the other candidates for B&B.

In Service,
Caelin and Pyro