[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History May 29

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Tue May 28 23:19:51 PDT 2002

Born:

Deaths:
1453 Constantine XI Dragases last Byzantine Emperor, dies at 49
1500 Bartholomeu Diaz de Narvaez (Novaez) Portuguese sea explorer, drowns
1544 Jacobus Latomus [Jasques Masson] Belgian inquisitor, dies at about 68
1546 Cardinal Beaton English archbishop of St Andrews, murdered
1593 John Penry English congressionalist, executed

Other Events:
0526 Antioch struck by Earthquake; about 250,000 die
0757 St Paul I begins his reign as Catholic Pope
1138 Anti-Pope Victor IV (Gregorio) overthrows self for Innocentius II
1167 Lombard League defeat Frederick Barbarossa at Battle of Legnano
1176 Battle at Legnano: Lombardi League beats Frederik Barbarossa
1415 Council of Konstanz
1453 Constantinople, the capital of Eastern Christianity from A.D. 324, fell
to the Turks. The city afterward became the capital of the Ottoman Empire
and was renamed Istanbul. Its conquest marked the end of the Middle Ages.
1453 French banker Jacques Coeurs possessions confiscated
1506 Earl Willem I van Nassau-Dillenburg weds countess Walburg van Egmont
1576 Spanish army under Mondragón conquerors Zierik sea

---