[Loch-Ruadh] Fw: [Steppes] Calendar ?

Donna Wallis mama_mac at airmail.net
Sun Oct 6 16:30:49 PDT 2002

The questions are:

>Would having only one or two events on any given weekend mean you would
chose to go to those events or would you just stay at home that
weekend??

The number of events on a given weekend would have nothing to do with my
going to events or staying home. Mundane obligations, finances and
WEATHER make that decision for me.

>How do you choose which events to go to??

As a starting point I read the Black Star and the event announcements
online. The more I am flooded with information about an event the more
likely I am to attend. Make it sound fun and I'll be there.  Some of the
smaller groups have the best events I have ever attended. They "have" to
work harder to get people to their events and are in general much more
SCA friendly.

>On average, how far do you drive to go to an event??

I have traveled as far north as Mooneshadowe, west to Bonwicke, south to
Bjornsborg, coastal to Bordermarch. So, I just don't have an average.

My own thoughts on the calendar.......I don't think limiting groups
events, any more than they are now, will make much of a difference in
attendance. "Events" taken off the calendar will most likely still
happen. Combining a groups events will overtax an already busy event.
Groups going together and combining events will create a nightmare, for
not only the seneschals and autocrats but also the exchequers!

If your event was poorly attended then the group needs to figure out
why!! Brainstorm.....start planning earlier, be more organized, change
the format, cut expenses, do something different, advertise more. The
calendar IMHO is not the problem.

Dana Mac an Ghabhann

Loch Ruadh ROCKS!!!