[Loch-Ruadh] FWD: Joint War Practice with Combat Archery - Post review - 11/07/2004

Cat fem_cat at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 14:39:27 PST 2004

Forwarded off the Elfsea list.

Kat

=======================================

Heilsa,

I would ask that someone please forward this to the
Elfsea and Loch Ruadh lists. Thank you in advance.

This past Sunday in Mary Heads Park (MHC), as the
subject states: "Joint War Practice" where fighters
and their supporters from both the baronies of Elfsea
and Steppes came together.

First  - Thank You to HRM Drake, Sir Mahdi, Baron
Armand, Sir Duke Miguel, Sir Earl Duncan, Sir
Romanius,  Centurion Stella, Centurion Tomas,
Centurion Morgan, Baron Robyn, Daire, Hrafn and all
the fighters, regardless which type of fighting you
partake of in the park today. More importantly to
those people who came out to support this practice,
whether you had someone fighting or just wanted to
support all the fighters of both baronies.

A Thank You to the marshals: HRM Drake and Centurion
Morgan for the heavy fighting and Donnel for the youth
portion. Centurion Stella and myself handle the combat
archery.

First, due to the large numbers that attended, I will
offer my apologizes in advance, for I know that I will
have miss a few of these good gentles. In this regard,
if I have missed individual(s) - Then  please, post
updates to whatever list this message appear on.

Ok, now that the disclaimer has been stated (see
above) let the memory cells go to work. (Hint - insert
smile here)

A surprise for one and all for there was NOT just
heavy fighting with combat archery, add in a rapier
practice, plus youth fighting.

In attendance was the following from my memory - "see
no net" (i.e., no notes), plus what I recall each was
fighting with at the time:

HRM Drake  - marshaled this war practice. Prior to the
war practice, HRM Drake and Sir Duncan fought a number
of one-on-one bouts.

Sir Duke Miguel Sebastian de Oporto - fighting with
glaive, plus fighting rapier
Sir Baron Qadi 'Abd al-Mahdi Jamal ibn Hakim - Baron
of Steppes - fighting with sword and round
Sir Romanius Vesperianus - fighting during part of the
practice with sword and shield, then switching to
spear.
Sir Duncan of Clan Ross with his daughter - Sir Duncan
fighting with sword and shield
Baron Armand Dragonetti - Elfsea baron - fighting with
spear
Baron Robyn (sp?) of Gilwell fighting with sword and
shield
Centurion Stella Silvana - did warm-up one-on-one
fights, then switched to recurve and combat arrows.
Centurion Morgan Buchanan and his lady Ciannait
Chaimbuel - Morgan who marshaled and a squire of Sir
Duncan.
Centurion Tomas Niallagain and his lady HL Rixende de
Rouen (Seneschal of Elfsea) - Tomas is a squire of Sir
Duncan. Tomas fighting with sword and shield. Lady
Rixende fighting rapier.

Hrafn Olafsson - Steppes Knight Marshal - fighting
with sword and shield
Dare da Haya - Elfsea Knight Marshal - fighting with
spear
CinaedOHosey and his children - Tori, Jon, and Nikko.
CinaedOHosey
fighting with sword and shield.
Elizabeta di Valore della Rosa
Roc the Bold and and his Lady Icia - Roc is man at
arms to Sir Mahdi.
Roc fighting with sword and shield
Duncan and his lady Kitty. Duncan fighting with sword
and shield.
Lady Allessandra di Giovanni - Steppes Equestrian
Marshall being escorted by a gentle that I did not
catch his name.
Eric and his lady Stephanie with their three children
and a young man -
Joey (believe name is right). Eric fighting with sword
and shield.
Chiara Francecsa Arianna d'Onofrio
Matt - did not recall seeing his lady Nicole at the
park. Matt fighting with sword and round.
Clayton and his lady Brandy. Clayton fighting with
sword and shield
Lord Mordock von Rugen and his lady Cathy (is it
Bren?). Dux fighting with spear.
Albecht auf der Leirenstien - fighting with sword and
shield
Melissa - fighting with sword and shield.
Neil - not sure if he was fighting rapier.
Lord Cathal (Clint) from Loch Ruadh - fighting with
sword and shield.
Lord Alric from Loch Ruadh - fighting with sword and
shield.
Terence from Loch Ruadh who express an interest in
combat archery - suggested that he gets in contact
with Fearghus since he is over on the south side of Ft
Worth for suppliers of fiberglass rod and UHMW rod. I
made the offer to show him how to make golf tube APD's
to attach to fiberglass shafts, this would allow him
to make some combat arrows. Both
Centurion Stella and myself worked with Terence and
attempted to answer all his questions. Plus, I set up
my usual target to allow Terence an opportunity to get
a feel for shooting combat arrows vs., target arrows.
Centurion Stella also took a turn at shooting this
target.

Louie - was fighting with glaive
Josh fighting with sword and shield
Mike and his son Mikey - Mike fighting with sword and
buckler in this practice.
Donnel Shaw - youth marshal
Robert fighting with fighting sword and shield
Robert FritzMorgan

I know that there was 5 more individuals on the side
lines and can not remember who they are. Once again my
apologizes.

and myself - Michael Fray fighting as a combat archer
with recurve.

People in armor:
HRM Drake, Sir Mahdi, Baron Armand, Sir Duke Miguel,
Sir Earl Duncan, Sir Romanius, Baron Robyn, Centurion
Stella, Centurion Tomas, Hrafn, Daire, Hosey, Clayton,
Roc, Duncan, Matt, Alric, Cathal (Clint), Robert,
Mike, Louie, Mordock, Albecht, Melissa, Eric, Josh,
and myself.  Plus there was 3 more individuals whose
names I can not remember.

Total of 31 fighters.
15 fighters to a side for this practice for this joint
war practices.
Including the two combat archers - Centurion Stella
and Lord Michael Fray.

Plus two youths fighting.

Sir Duke Miguel, HL Rixende, and Neil and I believe
three others were practice with rapiers (hope this is
the correct term). 6 "light" fighters.

Thus, the mundanes that attended Mary Heads Carter
Park (MHC) in Carrollton this past Sunday was given a
treat of 4 separate displays of SCA combat.

There was a number of one-on-one fights as a warm-up
to the main war practice. HRM Drake set-up the
scenarios with Baron Robyn commanding one side and
Centurion Tomas commanding the other side. Each
commander took turns selecting from the available
fighters present.

There ware 8 different scenarios with a brief debrief
following each scenario by HRM Drake, plus comments
and/or suggestions from anyone who fought might wish
to add to the fighting knowledge.

Scenarios:
 - 3 open field battles

 - 2 gate battles with the following additions the
defenders got one resurrection while the  attackers
got unlimited. In this scenario the attackers were
going to win at the end. The only issue was how long
it would take to defeat those inside the gate. Each
side got to defend and attack.

There was one attempt by the attackers charge and...
at this point think back to playing football...Hosey
made the play that any good nose-guard would do, he
will horizontal in front of the charging line, and the
front ranks went to their knees and other portions of
their bodies with Hosey on the bottom.

- 3 ravine like battles, there is a raised dirt mound
in the park which gives a nice slope to fight on, with
no one allowed to be on flat ground.

Total heavy fighters (includes 2 combat archers): 31
Rapier fighters: 6
Total children: 10
Total in attendance: 56

Next month for the Joint War Practices for the
baronies of Elfsea and Steppes: Veterans Park in
Elfsea (Arlington) on December 5th, 2004.
there will be no combat archery at this practice.

Next week is 3 Kings, November 12th through 14th
Following week is Autumn Melees, November 18th through
the 21st.

Then Thanksgiving weekend. I know that there will be
some people who will be in the MHC on Sunday the 28th
at 2 PM for regular fighter practice. In other words,
it is time to work off some of that turkey and
dressing.

Michael Fray