[Loch-Ruadh] Bug bites (or why i'd like to throttle a school nurse)

PBW PBW_RN at ev1.net
Wed Sep 8 15:07:46 PDT 2004

> my thoughts ...  Hrmm .. you're a school nurse who not only can't diagnose
> anything right, but admit you can't diagnose anything ... and my tax
dollars
> are paying your salary why???
>
> Dear god, what is the school system comming to these days? i went to
school
> with mosquito and chiggar bites all the time, i never got sent home.

While this school nurse sounds like she needs to be replaced let me say this
as an RN myself. She is correct. As an RN she CANNOT diagnose any
illness/condition. It dose sound however like this nurse does need to return
to nursing school and have a refresher course! Because as also stated in the
nurse practice act is the ability to observe, assess and intervene! She isnt
doing this! You can report her to the Board of Nurse examiners if you feel
her judgements are totaly incorrect. Or you can report her to the District
Nurse Supervisor (or even ask to speak to the District Nurse supervisor to
discuss this nurses lack of assessment skills).

As stated in the Board of Nurse Examiniers Nurse Practice Act Section
300.002:

(2)  "Professional nursing" means the performance for compensation of an act
that requires substantial specialized judgment and skill, the proper
performance of which is based on knowledge and application of the principles
of biological, physical, and social science as acquired by a completed
course in an approved school of professional nursing. The term does not
include acts of medical diagnosis or prescription of therapeutic or
corrective measures. Professional nursing involves:

    (A)  the observation, assessment, intervention, evaluation,
rehabilitation, care and counsel, or health teachings of a person who is
ill, injured, infirm, or experiencing a change in normal health processes;

    (B)  the maintenance of health or prevention of illness;

    (C)  the administration of a medication or treatment as ordered by a
physician, podiatrist, or dentist;

    (D)  the supervision or teaching of nursing;

    (E) the administration, supervision, and evaluation of nursing
practices, policies, and procedures;

    (F)  the requesting, receiving, signing for, and distribution of
prescription drug samples to patients at sites in which a registered nurse
is authorized to sign prescription drug orders as provided by Subchapter B,
Chapter 157; and

    (G)  the performance of an act delegated by a physician under Section
157.052, 157.053, 157.054, 157.0541, 157.0542, 157.058, or 157.059.

    Magdalea

    (who in mundan life is an ER RN)