[Loch-Ruadh] New device

Padraig Ruad O Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Mon Sep 13 12:37:56 PDT 2004

One of the best sources I know for questions on heraldry for viking
personnas is http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/vikheraldry.htm, by
Gunnvor (Gunnora).

I think you may run into problems in two areas:

1)  the chevron is the same color as the major background.  Even if you
fimbriate it (add a wider border of a contrasting color), I'm still not
sure it would be kosher, heraldrically.

2)  No objection to the Celtic crosses - they definitly date back to
(and before) the Viking visits to Ireland.  However, device heraldry is
supposed to be easy to recognize at a glance, and the crosses are so
small that they might be difficult to make out at even a short distance.

Check out Gunnvor's site, and run any questions you have past Dohmnall
or I - Dohmnall has a definite talent for finding answers, but I'll be
glad to help out if I have the information.

Padraig