[Loch-Ruadh] New device

Adam Harrison concrete_donkey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 13:18:54 PDT 2004

<snip>
> I think you may run into problems in two areas:
>
> 1)  the chevron is the same color as the major
> background.  Even if you
> fimbriate it (add a wider border of a contrasting
> color), I'm still not
> sure it would be kosher, heraldrically.

What he's done is void the chevron, which is perfectly
kosher.  And also, IIRC you fimbriate charges but not
ordinaries, they get bordered.  This issue came up
when we were trying to blazon my device.  the bordered
descriptor comes in if the ordinary is a different
color than the field and has a border that's a
different color than the field.  I could be wrong on
this whole bordered/fimbriated thing, for some reason
it's just sticking out in my mind.

> 2)  No objection to the Celtic crosses - they
> definitly date back to
> (and before) the Viking visits to Ireland.  However,
> device heraldry is
> supposed to be easy to recognize at a glance, and
> the crosses are so
> small that they might be difficult to make out at
> even a short distance.

Right, as I noted, it's pretty busy.  From 200 yards,
it might appear as a sable chevron, not what it
actually is.

-Bjorn