[Loch-Ruadh] Post Gulf war meeting notes

Kathy Varner dkv250 at msn.com
Thu Mar 31 16:56:02 PST 2005

Post War Meeting Notes

Thanks to Cathal for taking notes during the meeting.

Camp/Kitchen set-up: What worked, what didn’t.

1. Kitchen pavilion direction preferable to last year. Vertical to land not
horizontal.
2. Arrangement of Stoves and tables was workable.
3. 2 stoves preferable to 1.
4. Need a sign giving directions for coffee brewing i.e. # of filter packs
and brew time.
5. Coffee supplies should be carried by the first person planning to be on
site, so that Shire coffee is available to all as they arrive on site.
6. Garage pavilions will be used rather than the Shire pavilion due to
decreased space needed for ropes.
7. It would be a good idea to place smaller/narrower tents around the
pavilions and possibly near the front of camp to deal with the decrease of
frontage width to our land.
8. Shire torches should be marked in some way.
9. Need gloves to use for filling torches (thin latex work)
10. Torch oil and materials should not be stored in the kitchen.
11. An assigned clean-up crew for the mornings would be a good idea. Wash
down and sanitize tables, re-fill coffee supplies, wash down tables in
common area etc.
12. Only water from the pre-rinse dish pan should be emptied in the slop
hole. Other pans should be emptied in the ditch to avoid over-filling the
hole.
13. If we do not have enough late registrant campers to utilize overflow, we
need to invite those that we want to fill that space.

We are instituting a Gulf War Land Committee in the interest of the
continuity of information from year to year and in case we have a member
integral to the plans having to stay home due to emergency contingencies.
The Seneschal will be apprized of all stages of planning and cc’d on all
correspondence either personally or via an appointed deputy.
This year’s committee will serve until day 1 post War 2006.
Land Coordinator: Alric, with Cathal as deputy
Kitchen Coordinator: Kat
Camp Coordinator: Kaz
Seneschal’s Rep.: TBA after new Seneschal takes office in July. Catrin
currently fills this role.

This committee will make all land, camp, kitchen, and registration decisions
collectively with input from the populace as appropriate. Committee members
will change annually. Coordinators will generally be chosen from the deputy
of the previous year, unless that person is unable to serve. Standard
Operating Procedures for each coordinator will be devised in a group meeting
of the coordinators and interested parties in June or July.

Communication and emergency procedures:
As most of you know by know, there was a serious medical emergency within
the Loch Ruadh encampment for the first time in 12 years of Gulf War
attendance. We failed miserably to meet the challenge of this crisis. In
order to avoid problems with communication and information dissemination the
following measures were discussed:
1. A charged and functioning cell phone will remain in camp in a
pre-determined location. There will be one cell phone issued to an appointed
person each day, to serve as the emergency contact. This would generally be
a person within the largest group for the day, or a group going to the
Fields to observe battle.
2. An emergency contact tree will be devised, wherein each person is
responsible for physically locating 2 persons in the event of an emergency.
The message passed on will be verbatim what they were told and will include
the urgent suggestion for all persons to return to camp. Once all members of
the encampment have returned “home” assignments will be made as appropriate
and others released to return to their activities, with a caution to check
in hourly until the crisis has passed.
3. An emergency phone list will be compiled including all members of the
encampment with the following information:
Name, cell #, date/time of arrival and departure, if phone works/will be on
on-site, and alternate cell # if applicable. The list will also include
contact information for 1 person not attending War to act as contact person
from home if necessary.

If anyone has any other ideas please submit them to the Seneschal for
consideration.

Catrin