[Loch-Ruadh] OT: Chantel's back surgery

Elizabeth Hawkwood rhonda.new at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 20 10:33:47 PDT 2006

First thing to ask is, "who's doing the sugery--the neurologist or the
  orthopedic surgeon?" Please make sure you have a great doctor - it
  makes all the difference in the world. If you're not sure, just go to a
  nearby hospital (or the one where she'll most likely be having the surgery)
  and ask the nurses on the orthopedic floor who does the best job. They
  know, because they deal with the recovering patients, and they will share.
  My doctor was Mark Wylie (in Fort Worth) and the nurses at Harris Hosp.
  said they never had to worry about his patients because they were up and
  around and doing good with minimal care.

  I had titanium "cages" put between my vertebrae, July 7th, 2005. The cages
  are so much better than just the rods and screws (which I also have), or the
  "C" shaped spacers. Part of my surgery (the installation of the cages) was
  done from the front (abdominal) then the screws were installed from the back.

  She will be sore for a while, but she will be much better for it in the long run.
  In fact, she will immediately be able to tell a difference for the better.
  If she needs some reassurance, she is welcome to call me.

  //Elizabeth
  PS - I can bend over, now; and I can sit down or stand up without screaming!
  It's GREAT.

Terry Sikes <tdsikes at prodigy.net> wrote:
    Have no ideas on what date this will happen, but Chantel just called and said the neurologist is scheduling her for surgery to fuse some vertebra in her back.  Anyone out there had this done?  What can we expect?

  Terrence