[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History April 25

PBW PBW_RN at ev1.net
Mon Apr 24 21:34:38 PDT 2006

>Subject: [Loch-Ruadh] Today in History April 18
>
>Other Events:
>310 St Eusebius begins his reign as Catholic Pope
>1521 German reformer Martin Luther, at the Diet of Worms, proclaimed that a
>biblical foundation supported the theological position of his "Ninety-Five
>Theses." Luther ended his defense with the famous words: 'Here I stand! I
>can do nothing else! God help me! Amen.'

>Subject: [Loch-Ruadh] Today in History April 25
>

> Other Events:
> 1530 The Augsburg Confession was read publicly at the Diet of Worms.
> Written
> principally by Philip Melanchthon, the document comprised the first
> official
> summary of the Lutheran faith.

Ok.... on the 18th I thought the phrase "Diet of Worms" was comical, but
then to have it crop up again today (no pun intended) made me go "hmmmmmmm".
So I had to look this up. For those like me who knew it had to be something
more than a bunch of folks munching on grubs here it is folks:

The Diet of Worms was a general assembly (a Diet) of the estates of the Holy
Roman Empire that took place in Worms, a small town on the Rhine river
located in what is now Germany. It was conducted from January 28 to May 25,
1521, with Emperor Charles V presiding. Although other issues were dealt
with at the Diet of Worms, it is most memorable for addressing Martin Luther
and the effects of the Protestant Reformation.

this is noted in more depth at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_of_Worms