[Loch-Ruadh] OT: The best exam question ever.

Terry Sikes tdsikes at prodigy.net
Fri Apr 21 19:23:32 PDT 2006

Thanks a lot.  I've been doing my best to forget all that since Physics class and Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow.

  Terrence

Adam Harrison <concrete_donkey at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Nice...

Should have used Charles' law tho...

It's like Boyle's Law, but with pressure, volume, and
temperature!

(here comes a bunch of physics/chemistry)

Boyle's law actually is totally wrong for this,
because it assumes the subject is under constant
temperature and defines the relationship between
pressure and volume accordingly. (P1V1=P2V2)
p=pressure, v=volume

Charles figured out how to add temperature into the
relationship. (P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2) t=temperature

Both are actually applications of the Ideal Gas Law,
which is pretty much the most comprehensive law
governing gas properties, as far as I know. (PV=nRT)
n=number of molecules, R=the ideal gas law constant.

Charles' Law works under the assumption that the
system is fixed, as in, the number of molecules stays
the same(note that the ideal gas law does _not_
operate under this assumption). So, basically it
takes the ideal gas law and changes it to
PV/T="specific constant." This also works as
P1V1/T1="specific constant". Same for
P2V2/T2="specific constant". You can apply principles
of algebra from there to come up with the complete
law.

Boyle's Law works much in the same way except
temperature is also constant, so the ideal gas law can
be rewritten as PV="specific constant." And so on
from there as above to get to the full law.

Both of the laws are nothing more than specific
applications of the ideal gas law. So, for those of
you who may encounter gas laws in chemistry courses,
just remember how the ideal gas law works and with a
little algebra you can get to any of the other
combinations that you need. You don't have to mess
with learning every single law if you can understand
and apply the one that governs some of the others.

SCUBA related chemistry/physics rant off...
-Bjorn