[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History August 26

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Fri Aug 25 23:25:09 PDT 2006

Births:
1469 - Ferdinand II of Naples (d. 1496)
1540 - King Magnus of Livonia (d. 1583)

Deaths:
1278 - King Otakar II of Bohemia
1346 - Killed in the Battle of Crécy:
Charles II of Alençon (b. 1297)
Louis I of Flanders (b. 1304)
John I, Count of Luxemburg (b. 1296)
Rudolph, Duke of Lorraine (b. 1320)
1349 - Thomas Bradwardine, Archbishop of Canterbury
1551 - Margareta Leijonhufvud, queen of Gustav I of Sweden (b. 1516)
1595 - Antonio, Prior of Crato, claimant to the throne of Portugal (b. 1531)

Other Events:
55 BC - Julius Caesar invades Britain
1071 - Battle of Manzikert: The Seljuk Turks defeat the Byzantine Empire at
Manzikert
1278 - Ladislaus IV of Hungary and Rudolph I of Germany defeat Premysl
Ottokar II of Bohemia in the Battle of Marchfield near Dürnkrut in Moravia.
1303 - Ala ud din Khilji won Chittor
1346 - Hundred Years' War: The military supremacy of the English longbow
over the French combination of crossbow and armoured knights is established
at the Battle of Crécy.
1498 - Michelangelo commissioned to carve the Pietà.