[Loch-Ruadh] Speaking Forsoothly - Daily Lesson 24

George Boles sidhe01 at swbell.net
Wed Jan 3 12:25:01 PST 2007

Actually the weight of a tun will depend on whether the gal or bushel we are talking about
is American or Imperial Weight of water at 68 Deg 5 (about 20 deg C).  8.34 lbs for the American Gal, and 10 Lbs for the Imperial. so if the TUN is equated to 2 Butts or 256 gal then it can range from 2135.5 lbs (American) to 2560 Lbs (Imperial)

  Yep quite a mouth full!

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin <padraig_ruad at irishbard.org> wrote:
  "Daily" Lesson 24

Number and Measures – 4

Volume

* Mouthfull - about 1/2 ounce
(NOTE: This is obviously NOT an Irish Bard mouthfull)
* Jigger - 2 mouthfulls, or about 1 ounce
* Jack or Jackpot - 2 jiggers
* Gill or Jill - 2 jacks
* Cup - 2 gills
* Pint - 2 cups
* Quart - 2 pints
* Pottle or Half Gallon - 2 quarts
* Gallon - 2 pottles
* Peck - 2 gallons
* Half Bushel - 2 pecks
* Bushel - 2 half bushels
* Cask, Strike, or Coomb - 2 bushels
* Barrel - 2 casks
* Hogshead - 2 barrels
* Butt or Pipe - 2 hogsheads (and now you know how big a buttload is)
* Tun - 2 butts (A tun is approximately a ton) A Tun is 2,048 lbs, but is
a fair estimate given that the weight and volume can be derived all from
mouthfulls of water.

Shakespearian Word/Phrase of the Day:
Hale – Haul or drag
“Hale him forth, that I may confront him face to face!”

Nunc est bibendum.