[Loch-Ruadh] Memorial Day plus Scarby

Terry Sikes tdsikes at prodigy.net
Tue May 26 19:48:08 PDT 2009

Thought I would insert this while the heading was Memorial Day.

We had our plans changed for Sunday, but wound up at Scarborough Faire on Memorial Day.  When we went in we were told to go to the Scots Camp if we were veterans and we would be asked to be in the Memorial Day parade.  When we went they gave Chantel and I both a yellow ribbon sash and we wrote down our names to be drawn as flag carriers.

We went back to the Scots Camp at 12:15 and there were probably 200 or more vets, including a desert storm vet in desert camo and an Airborne Ranger in full dress.  Many of the Scarborough staff were there with yellow sashes sporting ranks and award ribbons and insignia.  They had 1 POW and even a British vet.

They picked names to carry the flags and all the names drawn were cheered and then we all lined up, had a short invocation and they took us up behind the shops on one side, made us wait a good while, then we all paraded the entire Faire.  The entire way we were cheered and applauded.  Doktor Kaboom blew giant smoke rings at us, and at least two of the vocal groups sang the Star Spangled Banner as we passed.  At the end they had a short ceremony to retire the colors and someone spoke a few words.

We wore the sashes for the remainder of the day and we had several of the Scarborough people came up to us both and thanked us for our service.

I'd like to commend the Scarborough staff for making Memorial Day a really special one for Chantel and I.  I know a good many of the Vets there deserve a good deal more credit than I do, seeing as how I was lucky enough pull duty in between any wars or conflicts and mostly several nautical miles away from any enemies, so I, in turn, salute the Vets that saw action.

Let me recommend to everyone that they visit Scarborough next Memorial Day.  They really know how to make you feel special.

Terrence