[Loch-Ruadh] Leaving Loch Ruadh

Robert Singleton sluggy7584 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 09:09:03 PDT 2013

I am saddened to hear of your decision, but I cannot say I'm completely
surprised.

Gabby and I have never really made a conscious decision to stop playing
with the Shire, but it has been easy enough to let other interests win our
vanishing free time. A contributing factor is that there has been an
element of exclusion from various members of the group for a long time, and
some of that ugly exclusivity came from people we might otherwise love. I
blame myself for lazily staying away instead of taking the MUCH harder path
of correcting such behavior in adults who really should know better. Like
you, just because I *can* reach in the fire to retrieve a lost item doesn't
necessarily mean I want to get burned.

The one thing I would mildly disagree with is returning your Ember. That
was presented to you for copious service to the Shire as a whole, service
you have unerringly provided for as long as I have known you. You deserved
it at least 10 times over. Regardless of the carelessly cruel words of one
peer, the creators of that award and your other peers, including Bice, Bear
and Sean, are somewhat slighted by the rejection of the award. That having
been said, I still understand why honor would dictate you return it, and
the only characteristic you display that is greater than your service is
your honor. I support your decision to do so.

Having not been present to hear your address, are you still planning to
play SCA or is the link between SCA and Shire too close?

Our own lives are filled with farming and triking these days. Having nearly
12 acres of land to enjoy is not a trivial task, but it is generally
fulfilling work. Lots of mowing in the spring. :)
https://plus.google.com/photos/117354996328916983579/albums/5671946739757922609?banner=pwa

Some of the free time we have is in service to a similar group of generally
like minded people, the DFW chapter  http://www.btwdfw.com/ of the Brothers
of the Third Wheel. http://btw-trikers.org/ I am the chapter treasurer and
its looking like I may have that job for a while. You would probably like
these folks. In fact, monthly chapter meeting at American Legion Post 516
http://post516.net/ clubhouse this Sunday noonish. All are welcome! They
know me as Sluggy, too.

I would never say that trikes have "replaced" the SCA in our lives, but
they are important. I recently bought a bunch of 16ga sheet metal to make a
fuel tank. For ease in handling, I had two full sheets cut into (16) 24x24
pieces. This made sure I have plenty left over for armor, particularly a
kabuto. Lots of plates and lots of rivets.
http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.ch09.html

Please keep in touch... I'm still on Yahoo IM as sluggy9912 and I'm there
pretty much all the workday. Phone is still 817-538-2286, too. :)

Sluggy!

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM, <sidhe01 at swbell.net> wrote:

> Greetings My lords and Ladies of Loch Ruadh
>
> Some of you may have heard that I announced at Populace that I would not
> be coming back to the Shire.  This is a true statement.  The reasons for
> this are many.
> Chief among these reasons is that I had reports that certain parties at
> Gulf War XXI  were bragging that “We ran the bad ones out of the Shire.”
> By this statement I took it to mean that  Fiona was one of the “bad ones”
> since she is friends with the “Bad Ones.”  The only reason I stayed in the
> Shire after hearing this was that I had taken the office of Herald and my
> term was not over and I try to finish what I start.
>
> I also returned the Ember I was awarded at our last event.  Since I will
> not be playing with the Shire, I cannot in good conscience keep an award
> that is for service to the Shire.  Some may think “but you earned it.”  Yes
> I did a lot of work for the Shire but I will not be doing that anymore so I
> really don’t believe I should keep an award such as an Ember.
>
> Some will say “Fiona made him” and they would be wrong.
>
> I hope that the friends I have made in the Shire will remain friends and
> they may contact me at any time, drop by and have a beer or ask for and
> receive any help I am able to give.
>
> To the Shire of Loch Ruadh – May you have Fair Winds and Following Seas
>
> Alric Morgannwgg

"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't
mean politics won't take an interest in you." - Pericles