[Loch-soilleir] Loch fighter practice survey

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 09:39:45 PDT 2004

Although I am leaving, I would like to toss in my 2¢. When I started I attended a regular Sunday 2pm practise. I did this for 4 years. I had to drive 30 min to the Torre practise and an hour for the Loch practises. I do not attend Tuesday night practises. It is an hour and a half drive away, so to fight from 7-9, I must leave home by 5:30 and I am lucky to be home again by 10:30 pm.

There were many Sundays when almost no one showed up. And it was pushed way back at the back of the park where it was out of sight for the general populus. To have a regular practise will take a commitment from a few people. Wulf Fairhair has been at the Torre practise basically every Sunday for 10 years, except when his job prevented him.

When Torre had its pactise out at the park by the highway in Lake Jackson, they got lots of people involved. When they moved it, the population dropped. My first reminder about the SCA was seeing their fighter practise off the highway as I went to the mall.

If I were not moving, I would be more prone to go to a Sunday practise than any other.

It will take a comitment from a few people to make it work. We have Don's, we have Knights. It will take both to succeed.

your servant,

mahee

"Steelquist, John F" <John.F.Steelquist at boeing.com> wrote:
And now the devil's advocate:

It's hot!
I've got to mow the lawn, go to church, visit the folks, see a movie, watch sports, ...
So, who's going to run it? (And do they mind sitting alone in a park every weekend?)

An additional (& separate) practice adds:
an opportunity for those who can't, for whatever reason, make Tuesday nights
well, more practice (duh) (& practice under the same conditions that the tourneys will be fought under)
public visibility

Perhaps simply scheduling a couple of one-off 'mini-event / demo' practices would serve for public exposure & maybe even the "I can't make Tuesdays" crowd.

For myself, I would show up to a Sunday practice sometimes, but I won't commit to anything like regularly...
Most of our local fighters are authorized marshals, getting them to show up is the trick.

Ulsted