[Loch-soilleir] it's a good day to fight

Dave Wise drwise at houston.rr.com
Wed Jun 6 06:00:40 PDT 2007

Hi Bors,
No apology necessary, you are my founding baron after all :-) .  Looking
at the Loch practices specifically, I couldn't tell you what I was doing
on those dates, but one reason we went to the tuesday practices was the
difficulty of having functions on sundays.  Especially given how busy
the event calendar has become, as well as the fact that more of us have
lawns to mow, kid's finishing school projects, etc.. Not an excuse, just
pointing out the logistics.  Take for example this spring.  We just got
done with 6 coastal events in a row, only to have another 3 weeks
later.  So to throw in a barbecue into that schedule is tough.
Regarding turnout at events, the kingdom has seen participation at
tournaments dwindle over the last several years as fewer people are
willing to travel.  The Loch specifically has always had a problem
attracting people from outside the coastal region, so this is not a new
problem.  We have talked about the situation for years and have tried
several ways to bolster attendance, the problem is that with so many
events, people aren't going to drive past an event to go to an event.
Especially when Loch Guardian was two weeks before Steppes.  We were at
the end of the tourney season and people would skip our event to save
Steppes as the 'last hurrah' for the season.  Moving earlier in the
month should help avoid that, but not when there are three coastal
events in the weeks before and two more following.
Regarding recruiting in general, one problem is that many of the folks
who could do a good job recruiting are usually the same ones who have
acquired other duties.  Take Loch this year, I didn't end up getting
into armor, since I ended up running the equestrian (which included
hauling out and setting up the gear I built for the course).  So, should
I have declined to run the equestrian to make sure I was available to
the fighters?  Likewise, there are a number of other veteran members in
the barony who could do a good job with extending hospitality at events
to help integrate folks, but they are the same ones who have already
been roped into listmistressing, waterbearing, serving feast, etc..
Regarding the fighting, while I agree 100% with the need for consistent
'presence' to be able to help people train and to provide them with a
quality opponent, I lost track a long ago of the number of practices
that I would show up to and have nobody to fight (or just stare at
Wolfgang or Ulstead, since we were the only ones there and had fought
about a billion times already)(which also speaks to the years I've been
at this, since it's been ages since Wolfgang was fighting chivalric on a
regular basis, although he still makes it out for some melee).  Combine
that with the variety of entertainment options that are open to folks
[insert World of Warcraft here] and it is tough to get folks to commit
to a regular fight practice schedule.  The nature of our practice has
always been cyclical, varying with the tourney season and the weather,
and from year to year.  When it comes to getting a good healthy
practice, from my observation, success begets success, so we need to get
a group of fighters who are all committed to improving that can work off
of each other.  Then, once we have a core to work with, it becomes
easier for folks to commit to regular training, since they know they
will have opponents to justify the time they are spending.  With the
training more success occurs and the cycle spirals up.  A limiting
factor on that is the fact is that for many fighters, they are only so
interested in developing their martial prowess.  Every fighter would
like to be better, but that doesn't translate into a willingness to put
in the time in grade to actually training (which has to include
traveling to fight at other events to really vet your style).  While
there are some phenoms out there, for the most part to become a higher
caliber fighter requires a lot of hard work.  So, even when training is
offered, for many fighters the fighting isn't important enough to them
to commit to a regular training schedule.  That is one reason I have
regularly hosted get togethers for our local fighters (since burgers and
margarita's will usually get them to come out ;) )  By getting folks
into a melee unit, or even just deepening their social bond with the
other local fighters, it gives them more a of sense of esprit d'corp
that will help them to prioritize their fighting and help them resist
the inertia of sitting on a couch or at a keyboard.  Ultimately what
makes someone come out is when they see value in what we do.  Despite
having fought and being involved with the SCA for over 27 years now, I
still get excited every time I take the field, which is why I have
continued to make it out practice as my schedule allows, sew outfits for
people, build armor for them, teach them to ride and joust and throw
them in the truck to haul them out to events.  Yet with that, if, or
when, we have more local get togethers, I'll try to make sure to make it
out.

With regards,
Alexis