[Loch-soilleir] pear tree

Fergus Stout bullheaded67 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 07:33:39 PST 2007

Well since you asked :)

Pearland was founded as a railroad switching station in post-Civil War Texas.  I believe the area around the Busy Bee cafe is the old railway station area.  The area was also known for its truck farming and produce.  My area of town (Silverlake - right off 288) was apparently full of rice fields in the not so distant past. I have met many 'old-Pearland' residents that used to fish in the rice fields when growing up.  I have yet to find any actual reference to large scale pear or other fruit production in the area.  However, one of the things Pearland used (and still uses) to attract inhabitants was the climate and fertile soil.  Pearland was almost wiped out after the Great Hurricane of 1900 when most of the viable businesses and farms were destroyed.

Regards,

Fergus