[Loch-soilleir] pronunciation of the baronial name

Hedwig von Luneborg lochherald at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 22:21:59 PST 2007

Unto the Serpentine Populace doth Hedwig von Luneborg send warmest
greetings!

In the past year or so since I have been blessed to hold the office of
herald for our great barony; the question of how to pronounce Loch Soilleir
has been the topic of several conversations.  This eve as I perused the back
log of paperwork that is the herald's office (neigh the bane of a herald's
existence)...I found the most enlightening piece of information, a tad bit
of our baronial history actually and I wanted to share it with everyone.

In 1980 (A.S. before I knew what the SCA was) it seems that a small newly
formed canton's name submission passed Laurel.  Loch Soilleir is Scottish
Gaelic meaning: loch =lake, soilleir=clear...thus Clear Lake.  The
pronunciation is "Lock Soylyar".  So, when someone asks you how to pronounce
the barony's name you can actually answer them!  By the way, soilleir is the
correct spelling...that has come up a time or two as well.

Vivat Lock Soylyar!

--
Herrin Hedwig