[Loch-soilleir] QoM and WoM

Fergus Stout bullheaded67 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 12:52:48 PDT 2007

Paris,

As we are a group founded with a goal of historical scholarship, I am afraid I must correct your account.

You are correct that the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, or The Massacre at Paris as fictionalized by Christopher Marlowe, did indeed take place on August 24, 1572.  It all begain with the assassination of Admiral Gaspard de Coligny, a prominant Huguenot.  Mob violence immediately escalated in Paris, a strong bastion of French conservative Catholicism, and spread to the countryside.  Thousands, possibly tens of thousands, of Huguenots were killed over the next several months.  These massacres radicalized the Huguenot faction in the French Wars of Religion.

The Massacre was celebrated in Rome where the Pope had a special medal struck to honor the occasion as well as the ringing of church bells etc.  Protestant Europe - including England - looked on with horror.

Please provide a source that the English took 'slaves' of the Huguenots.

Now as to Cajuns:

Those known now as Cajuns are derived from the original French stock which settled in Acadia - the area of New Bruswick/Nova Scotia, Canada today.  After the Treaty of Paris of 1763 a series of events unfolded which lead to the Great Upheaval (Le Grand Dérangement).  The end result is that the French ended up in Louisiana which changed hands several times between France and Spain.  It is during this time that tradition holds that some were forced into slavery for the English in the Carribean and Europe - I have found no documentable source for this but I admit to having never persued the matter.  If you have documentation I would love to see it.

Regards,

Fergus