[Loch-soilleir] Museum of Fine Arts - Islamic Calligraphy Exhibit

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 15:15:55 PST 2008

The Exhibit is actually on display till Feb. 3rd, perhaps it was extended after the magazine when to print (really must get my name on their issue again).  I went to the museum last Thursday to check it out, and it's a very interesting display of tools, reed pens, scissors, decorated boxes and scrolls.  The exhibit comes accompanied with a video of a scribe preparing paper and writing letters with a reed pen - I want to buy the video, but don't think it's available.   The display is relatively small (two rooms), but very detailed, with about 20 illuminated pages on display.

  The Museum of Fine Arts is open free on Thursday evenings:
  http://www.mfah.org/exhibition.asp?par1=1&par2=1&par3=501&par4=1&par5=1&par6=1&par7=&lgc=4&eid=&currentPage=

  At a lecture last Thursday evening, a museum representative stated, that with the large Islamic population in the Southwest, there are plans to begin enlarging the current permanent collection to have a larger Islamic presence of objects, so those of you interested in Mid-Eastern personna's have something to look forward to.

  There is also a book accompanying the exhibit.
  Cheers, Hillary