[Namron] RE: Beltaine Remarks

Bart Dversdall bdversdall at mmcable.com
Thu May 16 00:03:56 PDT 2002

Tadhg wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Things I like:
>         1) More compact site;

I disagree the site was just as large, and much easier to get all spread out which means even
more walking to locate friends.  The activities were to far off the beaten bath...except for
the Bardic Rock.  Also, at cimarron, they at least mow.

>         2) More handicap-accessible site;

Lake Murray didn't appear to be any more accessable...Showers at the top of a large hill with
lots of erosion.

>         3) Flatter site than Cimarron (once you get up the first hill);

Flatter? Unless you mean one big hill, that no matter where you camped, you had to climb up
and down to goto showers, restrooms or activities.

>         5) More cabin space...and they are in better repair;

Looked about the same.... and cimmarron is working on theirs. Train cars are now usable,
Wagons now have solid shutters, instead of canvas. As Bianca stated, they are inproving..

>         6) Indoor space for court...we had great weather so we didn't need to use
> it;

Where, the hall was smaller than the boy scout camp that Northkeep and Mooneshadow Uses.
Cimarron has a much large hall.

>         7) Fabulous weather;

Yep high humidity is great.

>         8) Great bardic;

Got me there....

>         9) Great archery and throwing ranges;

Attributed to those running them. Ranges were set up nicely.

>         10) Closer to our friends in the southern part of the Kingdom...which we
> have been trying                to do for years;

Still something to strive for...but lets not forget our friends to the north. Northkeep is 2.5
to 3 hours away from Lake Murray.

>         11) Immediately accessible off I-35...as opposed to wandering 30 minutes
> off of it;

Though one spends 30 minutes longer on I-35... 6 in one, half a dozen in the other.  I still
get to Cimarron in 45 minutes from door to gate.  Lake murray, Hour and 15 minutes.

> Things I don't like:
>         1) Ticks, ticks, ticks...(oh, Bianca already mentioned them)

Well.. no place can be perfect.

>         2) Hall is too small for a feast larger than 75 or 80 people;

But you said it had a larger hall.....

>         3) No facilities for equestrian activities;

Cimarron does...

> Things we can fix:
>         1) We can talk to Lake Murray's park ranger...or find out what Rick sprays
> for ticks;

Lake Murray is in the middle of the woods, it would be like trying to prevent the Titanic from
going down using a pail.

>         2) Augment the hall with a large pavillion(s)...Cimarron is too small for
> my taste;

But Cimmaron has a larger hall to begin with..

>         3) Place more markers in camp...but folks get lost on sites they are not
> familiar with...
>                 my wife and I both got lost the first couple of times at Camp Cimarron...I
> still get
>                 turned around outside the main camp at Camp Dakani (talk about a hill).

Signs Should be done regardless of the site. Along with large site map...

> The other thing to consider is Camp Cimarron's fees are about to go to $10
> per weekend...that means charging adults $12 at the gate.

Death, Taxes and inflation.... I can guarantee all three....

Now the things I liked about murray....

1 Great showers
2 Cool Bardic spot
3 Dumpsters we didn't have to rent.
4 No Cedar trees, which only effect me in February.. Weird...

Things I didn't like

1 Despite winds blowing 20-30 Mph, The air still didn't move because of the trees unless you
are at the bardic rock. Cimarron has better air flow.
2 Didn't see a decent centrally located spot for lists. Cimmarron doesn't fit the bill either
if a group wants multiple fields running concurrently.
3 Tiny tiny hall... for site with so many cabins, and such a large shower facility, one would
thing it would have a larger hall.
4. Local yocals driving through the site.  Brings back memories of the eggings at Lake Taylor
( had to throw that tent away)

Overall I still prefer cimarron.  ( But yet long for the days of Lake Taylor)

In service of the dream...
Matthias.