[Namron] RE: Namron Digest, Vol 3, Issue 21

Matt Reynolds woof231 at cox.net
Thu Aug 14 17:12:21 PDT 2003

I think I'll refrain from making any comments about redneck law enforement.

Media involvement is good.  So are tape recorders.  Ask the police if they
mind if you record any and all conversations.  Better yet, use a camcorder.
Say that you have a memory disability and like to take tapes so you don't
get confused later.  If they object, ask to have a lawyer present.  If
they're doing something wrong, they'll back off or refuse.  If they don't
mind, then they probably feel like they're in the right.

Either way, there is the potential of a lot of trouble.  The simplest thing
is to make a quiet retreat.  Which is what you're mentioning.

But if you're willing to fight for your right (no Beastie Boy jokes, please)
to SCA, get a lawyer and contact the media.  That will get their attention
faster than anything.  Maybe call the State Attorney General, ACLU, and any
other protective organization.

But make sure you weigh the consequences and risks vs the benefits.  I don't
think this will turn into a Walking Tall, but it does have the potential to
be UGLY.

Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss options.  I don't know
the law on things like that, but I am an EXPERT on getting a lot of public
attention focused on problems.

Mathias