[Namron] SCA and Tecumseh

lyric ui ruairc lyric_ui_ruairc at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 09:53:44 PDT 2003

I agree - that is why I said I would do exactly what
you suggested in the other part of my email.

Unfortunately - we live in a society of chicken
littles and sheep who in this situation would rather
call the police instead of being a nice neighbor and
making a visit to find out what it was all for.  And
the police in that general location *tend* to be of
the sort who enjoy pushing around people who are
*different*.

People calling the police because Duncan has
*different* lawn decorations and becasue he wanted to
set up his tent on HIS property to air it out IS
pushing him around.  This sets a precedent in the
community that if you harass someone who is different
or who you just plain dont like, and get the local
authorities to back that harrassment up (when it is
not supported by law),  you can remove the rights of
the person who is different. And then where does it
stop?

If Duncan had displayed something that was obscene or
was disruptive (like playing music at the loudest
setting at 3 am) to the others in his community
(abridging THIER rights) then I could understand a
complaint to the police.  But Lawn decorations and a
tent in the yard?  Please...that is just ignorant.

Do what you think is right Duncan - it is your life
and your family that will deal with the consiquences.
Just know that alot of us can understand what you are
going through....

care
lyric

--- John Hurst <jhurstsca at cableone.net> wrote:
> At 07:35 AM 8/15/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>

> >what ever happened to people's rights.....
> >
> >Dont let them push you around Duncan.  The advice
> >given by everyone one this forum is valid.  You
> have a
> >right to everything you mentioned.  It is your
> >property  - not your neighbors.  (this is no
> different
> >from some one taking offense to a pink plastic
> >flamingo, or christmas decorations)
>

> Its not so much a matter of being pushed around,
> people are legitimately
> concerned about splinter groups, cults and factions.
>  In this case, we
> aren't really any of these things, so the first
> thing to do is educate the
> people that matter, politely, and respectfullly.
> Get some documnetary
> evidence together, that shows that the SCA gets
> along well with authorities
> in other areas, a reference from another counties
> sheriffs office would be
> good for instance, or maybe some pics of events
> being held on U S Navy
> ships, or on military bases (you can find them on
> the web, maybe) and
> pamphlets about the educational nature of the group.
>  I helped found a
> shire in a small town in Kansas, so I do know what
> you are going through,
> but if you approach those people, maybe going
> through the mayor/city
> manager/whatevers office first, and the local police
> chief.  Now, they are
> a little worried about something strange, if you
> make it a confrontation,
> as you say, it will only get worse, but if your
> approach is positive, and
> educational, your image will improve.
>       Ewen MacG.
> >
> ---
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system
> (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Date: 8/12/2003

=====
...all work and no play makes stacey a dull girl....