[Namron] SCA and Tecumseh

John Hurst jhurstsca at cableone.net
Fri Aug 15 08:50:12 PDT 2003

At 07:35 AM 8/15/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>what ever happened to people's rights.....
>
>Dont let them push you around Duncan.  The advice
>given by everyone one this forum is valid.  You have a
>right to everything you mentioned.  It is your
>property  - not your neighbors.  (this is no different
>from some one taking offense to a pink plastic
>flamingo, or christmas decorations)

Its not so much a matter of being pushed around, people are legitimately
concerned about splinter groups, cults and factions.  In this case, we
aren't really any of these things, so the first thing to do is educate the
people that matter, politely, and respectfullly.  Get some documnetary
evidence together, that shows that the SCA gets along well with authorities
in other areas, a reference from another counties sheriffs office would be
good for instance, or maybe some pics of events being held on U S Navy
ships, or on military bases (you can find them on the web, maybe) and
pamphlets about the educational nature of the group.  I helped found a
shire in a small town in Kansas, so I do know what you are going through,
but if you approach those people, maybe going through the mayor/city
manager/whatevers office first, and the local police chief.  Now, they are
a little worried about something strange, if you make it a confrontation,
as you say, it will only get worse, but if your approach is positive, and
educational, your image will improve.
      Ewen MacG.