[Namron] OU question

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tue May 13 13:32:36 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 03:23:12PM -0500, Susan O'Neal wrote:
> At 06:41 AM 5/13/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >Susan -- went there for my Jr/Sr years and part of
> >grad school --- TONS of WALKING!!!
> >But that is pretty typical of any campus.
> >
> >Sjon
>
> Thanks Sjon and Barat,
>
> That is what I was thinking, it seems bigger than any of the three campuses
> I went to.  We are going to really have to work on her in the two years we
> have, to either get it where she can walk the distance or be ok with a
> skooter.  She has tight achilles and has always walked on her toes.  She
> had surgery last year to rebuild the ligaments on top of one foot, they
> were completly stripped out from multiple sprains.  We have homeschooled
> primarily and the schools she has gone to have been tiny (300 students or
> less) and last fall she was in Tahlequah with my mom and did another round
> of therapy to try to survive the walks-her classes had her going .2 mile or
> so between each class and it was killing her.  Just a couple of months ago
> we got her a pair of Earth shoes and she is walking heal toe for the first
> time in her life, her ortho was thrilled with her gait.  But in running
> around at Crown she ended up with stress fractures, and I know that college
> will entail much more running around than that day had.  I have never dealt
> with stress fractures before, so not sure if they are something you can
> work your way around very well or not.  Just know that they hurt worse than
> her surgery did and my anti-drug kid has been taking her meds by the clock.

They're going to hurt, and it is good that she is taking the meds.
Time heals, and meanwhile, she needs to stay _off_ them to the extent
she can. Her doc will have good advice on this, and I won't presume to
suggest anything myself other than that.

Her bones aren't used to being walked on, and I'm not surprised by
it under the circumstances. She'll need to work on building them up
-- and make sure she gets lots of calcium.

--
Mike Andrews	/	Michael Fenwick 	Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old music Laurel since 1987