[Namron] Re: Maypole...

Lissa Guillet lissa at missliss.org
Thu Apr 22 10:08:39 PDT 2004

Um, hello everyone. I'm not EXACTLY new or anything. I've known Willy for
12 years now and he's been trying to get me to join up for most of that.
lol.

Anyway, I had a few comments on the name picking thing.

Always remember that your name will be shortened by people. And usually
they do that my chopping off all but two syllables or taking one syllable
and adding a y(as in Wilhelm/Willy) or sometimes another really simple
ending like s(Amy/Ames). If your last name is particularly easy that way
then you might be stuck with whatever your last name is over your first.
Not necessarily a bad thing but just needs to be kept in mind.

People will know you by your persona names so it will become a public
thing. =) I noticed Willy name change took effect almost completely
outside of the 12 year friends about 5 years ago. Now I rarely hear his
given name.

Pronounciation is pretty important, but in a group like this I wouldn't
put too much into that. People will likely mess up the pronounciation of
the name unless they are versed in that area and time period or it is
still in use as written today. But I would make sure that your first and
last or first and middle and middle and last and any simple abbreviation
don't sound weird.

As for time period and such that you want to be a part of, I would look at
events in history that caught your interest in the first place if you are
having trouble. Has there been an event in history such as the crusades,
or the crowning of Charlemagne, or the protestant reformation that catches
your interest? Think of it as a chance to really intimately understand
that time period and area. Think about the religion, the dress, the wars,
the people, the trading and merchant classes, the crafts, and the
immediate previous history. It's all really fascinating stuff. =)

Most of all, have fun with it!
--
Lissa
Unnamed, Unknown, and Undecided =)