[Namron] Excessive replies

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Mon Apr 26 08:54:33 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:36:21AM -0500, Grimmie wrote:
> I hate some to send a message and I have to go look
> for the email that they are referencing  to see what they
> are talking about. I do not save email list postings so
> I have to go to the website to see what they are talking
> about or I ignore the email because they deleted
> the quote of the email they are replying to.  That is
> what a reply is for. Set your email program to put
> your post at the top not bottom.
> Ron Dawdy
> Grimhun

Are you having a bad day, Grimhun? His Excellency is Doing It The
Right Way: the response goes _after_ the text to which it responds,
as in this modest example. This is, in fact, the way real Professional
Programmers (such as I, and folks who have been doing it even longer
than my mere 40 years experience) format posts:

>>> Original text

>> first response

> second response

Here are some selected quotations on the topic, also from people who
write programs for their livings and have been doing so long enough to
Have Clue: