[Namron] Re: Pie ... how about period cheesecake?

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Mon Aug 9 04:02:36 PDT 2004

Greetings Namron from a Cousin to the South!

I've been watching with quiet amusement your "pie in the sky" discussions
and this lady's comment brings back a memory. Let me share a piece of
Ansteorran pie history with you.

It was about 1989 or 90. Mistress Maebh of (now) Bryn Gwlad, (then) Stargate
who was only Lady Maebh at the time, even then began to show her interest
and art in the field of cooking. She and I were at the time members of the
same household called Dragonshadow. For our household, at a Stargate Yule,
she baked a period cheesecake. One of our beloved members (now deceased)
Lord Thoron Draconis, squire to Sir John the Plain of Shearn (now also
deceased) came by. "What's that? Looks yummy!" he asked. "It's a
cheesecake." she replied. "Cheesecake! Gimme!" whereupon he took a big slice
and chomped down. Now dear reader, remember this was a *period* cheesecake,
not our "new york" style that our modern pallets are used to. It was not
sweet, (only slightly) but more "savory" and was flavored with the unusual
herb of elderflowers. *I* loved it but he didn't and his face was quite
amusing as his tongue informed him that it was not what he expected.

Don't let this story put you off of a "period" cheesecake, however. Just be
prepared for it not to necessarily taste like what you expect it to, be a
bit adventuresome and you just might have a flavor experience to add to your
"oh, wow" SCA experiences. It was light and crumbly and the elderflowers
gave it a most unusual flavor like I've never experienced before or since. I
often have wished for a second chance to try it but I have never had anyone
else in my presence present one.

As for the lady's query concerning recipies, I'm sure there are plenty of
cooking Laurels in your neck of the woods who could help. But I know for
sure of *one* cooking Laurel who might help you. Jump onto the Bryn Gwlad
list and ask for Mistress Maebh to contact you. She loves to help and I'm
sure she would be amused to have this story brought back to her memory. As
Master Ragnar (one more beloved Ansteorran who has gone from us) used to
say, "Word Fame is Word Fame!". I hope my story has amused you. Until then,
I remain...
In Service,
H.L. Annes Clotilde von Bamburg
Kingdom Historian