[Namron] Re: newcomers/catalogue

Amanda Townsley westerdayaddams at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 08:10:59 PST 2004

Rose, we are working on this "catalogue" of which you speak, however it is being met with laziness, forgetfulness, or down-right apathy in that, on the skarrgard end after soliciting both namron and skarrgard, i have only received about 4 responses for it....and i know there are more people in the barony than that who must've done something right to have all these beautiful awards with which to tag their email signatures...hehe....I am not sure that Grainne has received any more responses than i have on this matter, and we only have 2 people wanting to be mentors.... and for those people you know who you are, thank you for stepping up to this and making yourself available to help out our newcomers!  It is much appreciated and I am sure when others see you doing it, they will think "hey this isnt so hard, why didn't I volunteer as well? oh, wait, I've already got my awards and word fame so i don't need to earn anything anymore...."  or maybe they will just decided to look beyond
 themselves and see that they can help out the newcomers, hey we were all there once.... and i could not have made it through my first event, my first populace, um, discussions, nor my first war without those helpful people---- I know you exist out there!!!!   But Rose, if you know of anyone for this catalogueing of SCA skills and interests, please let me or Grainne know, as we need all the help we can get.  Our offices exist for a reason, but it does take a proverbial "village", and without everyone helping to create that welcoming environment, we will be just like any other club that people join to feed their own egos, as opposed to a society who truly loves a time period and a history that many mundanes take for granted, and that we chose to learn about for our own fulfillment rather than tangible gains....

And Isobel, thank you for your input- I would very much like to meet you, since i do go to the Namron Pop meetings and Grainne has introduced me several times, please don't hesitate to exercise your "sociability" with me!  I can get much better input in person than behind an email, and i also retain critiques a little better as well when people are able to face me and sit down and share their concerns/comments/suggestions.....I have only been playing for 6 years (which im sure doesnt sound like anything to anyone)- so i don't really know what kind of weight is carried by being "married to a laurel"(is it like being a baroness or a queen?) but im sure that is where most of your experience comes in and i would be happy to hear any input from your spouse as well :)

I hope I can continue to be of service, and please everyone let me know what you need- I have no life (not kidding!) so do not hesitate to call me or email me privately about questions, concerns, or what have you---- If i dont have the answer, believe me i will not rest until i find it!

thanks,

Salerna della Rena of Wolfstar

Acting Hospitaler for the Incipient Canton of Skarrgard

4053885733, westerdayaddams at yahoo.com

ps. still expecting people for tomorrow's little soiree-- bring your butts to shawnee!

"Live as if you are going to die tomorrow,
   Learn as if you are going to live forever."
                                                     -Ghandi