[Namron] Re: newcomers/catalogue

Epperson, Sheryl epperss at oge.com
Thu Dec 9 08:35:07 PST 2004

Salerna, (and others)
This is the first I recall hearing that such a catalogue is trying to be
created already.  Keep mentioning it, and get with people to ask
specific questions, and write down what they say. Are you wanting a list
of what goes on at a "normal" event, or a list of activities that can be
done either at home or at events?  Many of these types of things can be
found, along with descriptions, by looking at Arts & Science links from
the SCA and Kingdom pages.  It would be nicer to have descriptions
written by people from this area who do the activity, but you can get a
quick start this way.  The Kingdom of Atlantia has a great list of links
on their site:  http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics.htm

I think it is a great idea, although I doubt if you'll be able to do a
complete listing with descriptions in a size that can be affordably
given to all newcomers.  Possibly an overview to be put in a flyer to be
handed out, with a more complete listing and descriptions being in the
Hospitaller and or Arts & Sciences officers files?  In the overview,
different types of embroidery known or considered to be appropriate can
be listed, but not a complete description of each, for example.  Some
people may seem to be slow in helping with such because they think that
someone else who knows more about the subject is either already helping,
or being approached.  I would recommend talking with the A&S officers
for help, because they may already have descriptions in some of their
files of some of the more common crafts.

I know I mentioned to Grainne that I would be willing to help with the
mentoring program, so if there is anyone here who wishes help with
anything feel free to contact me and I will see what I can do to help
you.  After Christmas will be best for most people at this point, I
imagine, for detailed assistance at any rate.