[Namron] Re: [Ansteorra] Newcomers

Epperson, Sheryl epperss at oge.com
Wed Dec 8 06:13:36 PST 2004

A Pelican is the highest award for service you can receive.  It is an
SCA-wide order, not a local or kingdom specific award.  A Laurel is the
highest award for Arts and Sciences, and Knighthood (or Master at Arms)
is the highest for chivalric (heavy weapons) fighting.  These three
awards are all SCA-wide, and are called Peerage awards.  (If I recall
correctly.)

I'm sure someone else will help out with more details, but this gives
you a rough idea of the award.  The reason the Pelican was chosen for
service, as I recall being told, is because of the legend of the pelican
piercing its breast to feed its young of its own blood in hard times.
The idea was that Pelican have given of their own flesh and blood to the
SCA.

Annabelle