[Namron] Re: [Ansteorra] Newcomers

Romana Thiana romanathiana at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 21:23:03 PST 2004

Greetings Gentle Cousins,

I have been monitoring this thread for a bit, and
thought I would add my thoughts.

Thank you for your consideration,

Romana T

--- Isobel de Kirkbryde <kirkbryde at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Okay, here I go again jumping off the deepend with
> an
> idea.

Jump away.  That's the only way to stay wet behind the
ears....

> I LOVE the idea of a description or catalogue of SCA
> activities.  That, made generic with description of
> activity and the title of the person who generally
> holds the job that oversees it is terrific.  Keeping
> one updated and current from Kingdom to Kingdom and
> Barony to Barony could be a massive task.

Ah!  But that has already been done, at least on the
SCA level.  It's called "The Knowne World Handbook".
You can get a copy from the SCA Stockclerk and most
local Hospitilers *should* have a copy or 3 lurking
about.  In the last place I was, the Hospitiler kept
at least 3 copies with them at all times, just to hand
to newcomers.

> But, I see a way to do both.
>
> How about a printed booklet with the descriptions of
> all the activities across the Society, as described
> (in simple mundane language) and then a pocket in
> the
> front or back of the booklet.  In that pocket, you
> tuck a card with the localities list of officers,
> list
> of peers who teach some of the activities, etc.
> That
> way, the contact information could be updated w/o
> having to throw out the whole package.

Isn't that information already published in the local
newsleter?

> On Namron's activities page, there is a fairly good
> example of quick descriptions of the repeating
> activities such as "Stitch 'n' Bitch", Heraldry,
> Populace.  But, I know there are regular activities
> that aren't listed, too -- like Waytes and Measures
> (a
> Medieval and Renaissance Music Group), the Charter
> Painting at "mooharpist's" every Wednesday night
> except Populace nights.
>
> There might be activities happening in other
> Baronies
> or Kingdoms that aren't as popular here, or in
> adjacent localities such as Skarrgard and
> Weisenfeurer
> that could still be listed in the catalogue.  Then,
> if
> someone wants to find out more about it, the officer
> who would cover that can direct them to websites,
> connections to Peers, other Baronies and Kingdoms,
> etc.

Perhaps a section added to the webpage linking other
local area groups would be helpful?  I do know that
the Kingdom's webpage has links to all the groups that
have a web site.

> Rose -- snip...
> I don't think it is all that farfetched and would be
> another terrific weapon in the arsenal to break the
> ice for the newbie.  It might even give some of
> those
> old-timers a new lease on life by giving them
> something new to try if something sparks their
> interest as well.  I'd love to work on this project
> with you.  Are you game?

Sure.  Call me Monopoly.  :)

YIS (Yours In Service... for the newcomers who haven't
seen that one before),

Romana, alphabet soup, etc.