[Namron] Re: [Ansteorra] Newcomers

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 12:39:07 PST 2004

Bobby -- Thank you for a view from the other side.

Duncan -- Thank you for your frankness in illuminating
some of the issues.

This is exactly the kind of information I want to
collect so that I can figure out what the stumbling
blocks are on both sides of this issue.  The only way
I can help do that is to figure out exactly what is
causing the problem for the newcomer to break the ice,
and for the veteran in sharing information.

I see this as a place where I excel and can jump in
with both feet to try to solve the marketing problem
and break down the obstacles to make this more fun for
everyone -- newbie and veteran alike.

Just raising the question of whether written materials
existed, I discovered that there are publications by
the Society that I didn't know existed.  So, my next
question is how do we make them more visible?  If I
didn't know they existed, I'll bet there are lots more
people who don't know they exist.  How can I help
change that?

This is exactly the kind of thing I am doggone good at
doing -- marketing a non-profit.  I think I mentioned
in one of my previous posts that I built a mundane
non-profit in less than 3 years from 10 to over 500.
I know what works to capture people's attention, where
to spend the energy, and how to overcome some of these
hurdles.  I finally found something I can do that I
know I am good at that will help the SCA.  That's the
key for me!  It just took me awhile.  But, someone has
put fuel in my tank, so look out, here I come. . .

I am going to work on solving this problem by making
the SCA more visible and more accessible to the
newcomer WITHOUT pointing fingers at anyone in
particular about what he or she did or didn't do, just
finding ways to overcome the hurdles on both sides.

My goal is to fix the problem, not the blame.

Continued input required and requested.

Thanks for giving me a mission.

=====
Isobel de Kirkbryde married to a Laurel (Michael Fenwick of Fotheringhay)

Mundanes:  Mike and Melody Andrews