[Namron] Newcomers

muriel at entelesoft.com muriel at entelesoft.com
Mon Dec 6 13:33:39 PST 2004

Even now, if I see an unfamiliar face, I don't know if they are new or not.
I can sit around a campfire in the middle of the night and have hours of
conversation with someone whose face I won't recognize by the light of day
in different clothes.  I hear stories about people I've never met nearly
every weekend, and many of these are from Dani who's only been around for a
year.  I *want* to help people find their way in the SCA, but I don't know
who needs help.

If someone unfamiliar shows up at populace and sits by themselves and
continue to stand by themselves after pop is over, never speaking to anyone,
they might stand out.  Hopefully someone will notice and introduce
themselves.  Also hopefully, if someone makes it all the way to populace
they will hear about some activity that sounds interesting to them and talk
to the person who stood up and said "If you're interested, find me after
populace!"

If you introduce someone to the SCA, take some responsibility to get them
comfortable with it.  For those who find the SCA themselves, they are going
to have to work a little more and I don't know how to change that.