[Namron] The Incident at Protectorate

Duncan MacNamara duncan_macnamara at charter.net
Tue Oct 12 23:12:49 PDT 2004

I was just informed of something, and would like to doubly apologize for it
now. I was just informed that Marsha was _WITH_ Tadgh when they went through
camp on their way to their wagon, on the night of the incident. I had
absolutely no idea that a child was involved when I was issued my warning,
or I would have packed up and left right then and there, no questions asked.
I don't understand, in fact, why I wasn't told to get off-site instead of
given a warning. I also don't understand why it's only just now, three days
later, that I am hearing of a child being present. I would like to extend my
apologies again.

As for range safety and my appearant incompetance... I have a little
backstop that I normally set up when firing my mini-cannon, to make sure the
wadding doesn't travel too far when I fire it in a "limited space" setting.
I set this up 6 feet from the barrel muzzle, as the wadding usually only
travels 3-6 feet, using a powder charge of 15 grains. Since my mast rope and
torch was at roughly the 10 foot mark, and I had just cleared the "firing
lane", I didn't put the cannon on the ground and set up the backstop. I
fired it from the mini-table on which I had them set up for display. The
offending cannon is 3 inches long, has a 1/4 inch bore, and is no louder
than a black cat firecracker. No, I am not trying to excuse this away, just
shedding some light on the facts. Yes, I was wrong for both firing the thing
in camp, even though it is tiny, and I was also wrong for not setting up my
backstop. But still, this doesn't mean that I am an idiot. It means that I
made a mistake, and while I am thankful that nothing happened, I still think
this thing got blown a tad out of proportion. That, and I don't understand
why no one at the event site who knew what happened mentioned that there was
a child present.

Tadgh, Meraude, I am sorry.

Duncan