[Namron] Children's Library Activity: Pooky's Play Packed Power Hour

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Apr 1 05:07:02 PST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:21:45AM -0600, Lord Pooky wrote:

> Yea hey, The Story of Gulliver's travels to Lilliput BRILLIANT! Wish I
> though.... covered tha never mind.
> Yea hey, fortunately I have a niece and 2 nephews (mundanely) 8,5,2.5 girl
> eldest that I can practice in front of for a couple months. I have reading
> to do!

Be careful about what you include and what you leave out; there's a _LOT_
of Gulliver that needs to be left out when telling it to kids. There's a
lot of Swift's works in general that needs to be left out when telling it
to kids, although I think that most kids would find "A Modest Proposal" to
be screamingly funny. Yes, "screamingly", though "terribly" might also be a
correct word for that sentence.

Overall, this sounds like a _really_ _neat_ thing. Anyone who wants to
take my Derrydale fairy tale books -- arguably the very best I've ever
seen for correct period costume -- to read to the kids is welcome to come
by the house and borrow them. I *MUST* have them back, and in the event
that they're not returned, I'll have your gonads, and maybe your heart and
liver. But they're wonderfully well-illustrated, and they're the standard
fairy tales (Jack & Beanstalk, Red Riding Hood, Pied Piper (in brilliant
14th Century german dagged sleeves, red and yellow fabric), and so on) that
kids already know and just plain love to have read to them.

> Why does "The List" scrub An HTML attachment ... Anyone?

It doesn't. Look at any of the posts from el2iot2 at mail.com; they're all
(irritatingly) in HTML only, with no text/plain equivalent; I can read them
only if I invoke the lynx text-mode browser, because they don't show up at
all in my text-only mail client.

Which brings me to this note:

Radei, it really would make life simpler if you'd set your mailer, whatever
it may be, to produce text as well as (or instead of) HTML. Thanks in advance.

--
Mike Andrews		/	Michael Fenwick 	Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx	/	Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO