[Namron] Another good and informed question...

Aline Swynbrook alineswynbrook at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 20:35:31 PST 2005

Samarrah,

I have never met a truly stupid question.  The
occasional not thought all the way through question,
but never stupid.

Duncan gave a very good explanation of what households
are.  As for what they denote, some are formed around
fighting, or barding, or revelry.  Others are people
who are just extremely close friends.

**snippy quote** So then what are the interests, or
ties that bind these bands of brethren...and
sistren....?

Wolfstar
Tribe
Black Orchid
Black Lotus
Rouge Thunder
Lionguard
Gryphons  **Un-snippy quote**

If the Lionguard that you are thinking of are those
who wear darkish red/maroon and black tabard with a
yellow dragonish creature on the front and an
Ansteorran star on the back, that would be the
Liondragon Guard, the home guard of the Shire (soon to
be Province, Allhamdallah) of Mooneschadowe, which I
still consider my SCA home (it was in this shire where
I first became really active).  The guard is made up
of the fighters and their supporters of the shire,
both heavy and light, as well as the waterbearers,
campmakers, matriarchs, and others.  Membership is
open to those who are residents or friends of the
Shire who chose to offer their allegiance to them and
wear the tabard.  Our own Marchog Owen ap Aeddan is
himself a former Captain of the Liondragon Guard.

As for other associated groups, the SCA runs the gamut
from pirate ships, such as those Lord MacNamara is
associated with.  I believe Black Company, which
counts as members Lady Adena Terricdottir and Lady
Danielle de Marsielle (who I think is still a pledge,
maybe) also has nautical roots.

There are Guilds, associations from loose to
structured, of those who practice the same Art of
Science (The Herbalist Guild in the East Kingdom comes
to mind, as does Ansteorra's own Waterbearer's Guild
which is well structured and well reknowned).

There are fighting Companies, such as Alton's Company,
which is based out of Northkeep with members
throughout the region.  There are also mercenary
companies that fight together for whomever pays them
(again, I think Black Compnay could be seen as an
example of this).

There are some household that are so big, they cover
multiple regions in a kingdom or multiple kingdoms
(such as the Dark Horde, who do Mongol impressions, I
believe).  And some, as Duncan said, are those of a
Lord and his Household.

There are also groups like the Blue Feather Guild,
which provide bases of support and assistance for SCA
members with a specific thing in common (the Blue
Feather Guild is for the support of Gay/ Bisexual/
Lesbian member of the SCA and those who support them).

As always, interesting discussions on such things can
be found archived at http://www.florilegium.org/.
Look under the  category, The SCA Inc.

Hope that helps.

In Service,