[Namron] The Children

Samarrah bint Annaan samarrah_bint_annaan at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 07:28:13 PDT 2005

Pooky,

Here are some suggestions for this dillemma that may
or may not help.

1.  At all events hand out a form or post a prominant
sign stating that all children must be escorted to the
children's activity and SIGNED IN with a legal
guardian.  If not, the site's Knights/Security/Police
will be called to escort the children to their parents
for proper identification.  Note that this policy is
for the safety of their beloved offspring and the
inconcvenience is necessary for their safety and
protection.

2.  Consider issuing id bracelets similar to those ot
hospitals that contain both sca and mundane names of
the parent of the child.  Again, this should occur as
folks sign in or register at the gate.

3.  Perhaps a special gate for families with underaged
children to get all this info done and not hold up the
rest of the folks trying to get in...which would
perhaps be more convenient for the parents as well.

4.  Have a person sitting at the entrance of the
children's event to register and "Guard" the entrance.
 If the child doesn't have an adult to sign them in,
they have to turn around and return with an adult.

5.  Establish a clear age limit where a child can not
be left without an adult attending!  Such as Under 5
must be accompanied by an adult...

these are similar to policies we have established at
our library.  Not everyone likes them, and they can be
inconvenient, but I'd rather be inconvenient than
loose a child, and I'm sure most parents would agree.

If I can be of any further service, please do not
hesitate to inquire.....

Your Dorm Mother of Pookah Lovin' University
Samikins

--- Lord Pooky <lord_pooky at hotmail.com> wrote:

>     *snip
> think normally it has been up to whoever actually
> makes up the list
> how they wish to do it.  It would probably be a good
> idea to check with
> the seneschal and/or baron and baroness, of course.
>
> If you're going to be updating the pop list, it
> might also be a good
> idea to announce it at a couple of pop meetings so
> that people who need
> to be added or to update information can get it to
> you.  I've done it in
> the past, and I know how hard a job it can be.
> Thank you for taking on
> this task.
>
> Annabelle

> This might end up being a long email but I do have
> something important to
> say for a change. And since this email concerns the
> most important thing
> in the world, YOU WILL read it.
> I will explain MY concerns and the dangers first and
> then tell ya why I
> think its necessary and a good idea.
>

> >think normally it has been up to whoever actually
> makes up the list
> how they wish to do it.
>
> 1. I believe first and foremost we should ask the
> parent or legal guardian
> if they wish their childs name to be listed in a way
> that would make that
> information accessible to anyone walking through the
> kitchen of anyone in
> the Barony. We should (in MY humble opinion) ask the
> par/leg gar's
> individually instead of a "hey what do ya all think"
> .
>
> 1a. If the most evil form of human life gets a hold
> of the list and we
> were the ones to print out the list and the par/leg
> guar did not ok the
> inclusion of the name of their child onto the list I
> am sure and Bubba might
> be able to confirm there'd be hell to pay for the
> Barony.
>
> 1b. Yes even if we just include the name of a child
> that might be all
> "Evil" needs to extend an air of familiarity to one
> of our babies.
>
> Conversely,
>
> 1c. I think it's extremely necessary that we all
> know which child belongs
> to which par/leg guar at every given moment. So if
> this would help do that,
> it would be a good idea.
>
> *snip
> My opinion on this is based a little on my
> experience at Kings
> College.  It would be great for people who are
> working in the
> children's areas to be able to put a name/face with
> the parents.  Most
> of you probably know from the years you have put
> into service in the
> SCA but for those of us that don't know... this
> information would be
> very helpful.
>
> Sæmundr

> [...]

Lady Samarrah bint Annaan, Princess of Pie Procurement

God be with you in every pass. Jesus be with you on every hill.
 Spirit be with you in every stream, headland, ridge and law,
each sea and land, each moor and meadow, lying down and rising up,
 in the trough of the waves or on the crest of the billow.
 Each step of the journey you go, go with God.