[Namron] Few questions about making arrows

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Jun 24 07:20:21 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 05:48:47PM -0500, Jim L Couch wrote:
> This week I got in all the supplies I need to make arrows.  However,
> the taper tool came unassembled and the instructions are not written
> very good.  It came with two blades.  One is thicker than the other
> but it doesnt say whether the thicker one goes on the nock end or the
> point end.  It also says that I will need to adjust it for proper
> taper but having never made arrows I am not sure what the proper taper
> will look like.  I think on that one I will just have to play with it
> and see.  Also, it comes with three different sizes that can be
> screwed onto the taper tool.  All my shafts are 11/32 so do I use the
> middle size one (they are not marked) for both the nock side and the
> point side?  I believe the taper tool is the same one used by Baron
> Ulf, if that helps.

I'm not sure what you mean by "thicker"; I suspect you're talking about the
angles of the blades, or the angles of the tapers they cut in the shafts.

The nock end of the shaft should have a fairly short, "fat" taper: the
angle will be about 30-40°. The point end, on the other hand, should have a
fairly long, "thin" taper, about 15-20°. I think the idea is that the point
gets more glue surface to make a stronger joint, because the point is what
hits things (and gets pulled out of them), and hence is under more stress
than the nock. The nock, OTOH, only experiences compressive forces under
normal use; it's under tension only when the point has hit something hard
and the shock wave from that impact is reflected hackwards down the shaft
to the nock end.

--
Mike Andrews		/	Michael Fenwick 	Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx	/	Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO