[Namron] Few questions about making arrows

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Sat Jun 25 08:47:13 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sæmundr:
> This week I got in all the supplies I need to make arrows.  However,
> the taper tool came unassembled and the instructions are not written
> very good.  It came with two blades.  One is thicker than the other
> but it doesnt say whether the thicker one goes on the nock end or the
> point end.  It also says that I will need to adjust it for proper
> taper but having never made arrows I am not sure what the proper taper
> will look like.  I think on that one I will just have to play with it
> and see.  Also, it comes with three different sizes that can be
> screwed onto the taper tool.  All my shafts are 11/32 so do I use the
> middle size one (they are not marked) for both the nock side and the
> point side?  I believe the taper tool is the same one used by Baron
> Ulf, if that helps.

By now, you've already figured it out.  The thickness of the blades
means nothing, probably.  Just pulled from different lots or something.
You could have one three times thicker, as long as the screws held it
in.

The three sized guides are for 5/16", 11/32", and 23/64" shafts.  For
now, you just need the middle one.

The "proper taper" is defined to be the correct angle to make the wood
fit snug inside the nocks and points.  All of the wood, not just the
beginning of the taper or the end of the taper.  You could probably say
it was the length of the taper, too, as sharpening it to a point means
it won't fit in the socket.

Fletch-tite is used to adhere nocks, tips, and feathers.  Pretty good,
considering that's wood, plastic, and feather quill adhering to wood.
There are dips for shafts *before* you glue stuff on.  I think it's
called Fletch-bond.  It is made so Fletch-tite will stick to it very
well, while protecting the wood shaft from water.  Master Michael, as he
said yesterday, uses thinned Tung oil instead, but I don't know if he
applies it before or after fletching.  I use linseed oil after
fletching, applied with paper towel and Q-tips.

Baron Ulf