[Namron] SCA cooks.

John Hurst jhurstsca at cableone.net
Sun Oct 16 21:37:35 PDT 2005

And in the middle ages most people ate little meat at all, and mostly beef,
pork and venison.  Still very limited, just limited to different
meats.  Not all that many people had a great opportunity to sample anything
that wasn't local grown, and what they did get wasn''t always at its best,
since they had no way to store it.  As far as who has eaten those wild
varieties these days, maybe its the circles I have always travelled in, but
I had eaten venison, wild boar, bear, elk, pheasant and quail long before
the SCA was even started, and no, I don't hunt nor did any in my immediate
family, but there were always lots of hunters around who were willing to
share.  I guess its a matter of attitude, modern diet leads you to EXPECT a
large variety of different foods, and opportunity to taste different foods,
medieval society led you to expect to eat pretty much the same diet every
day, with occasional festivals where different things were prepared.
                       Ewen MacG.

At 05:21 PM 10/16/2005, you wrote:

>Ok, I was thinking of the variety of meats we eat.
>Yes, fruits and veggies, etc. are available in greater
>variety due to import and cross-country transport.
>But the meats we eat are limited.  Beef, chiken, pork,
>turkey... for the most part.  Where are all the other
>possibilities?  How many people in our mundane world
>today have eaten squirrel, peacock, and a myriad of
>other critters running and flying around in the woods
>and on the plains?  Now, that is not to say all
>critters are tasty to eat.
>
>Etienett

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
                                               Ben Franklin